Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sally's Beauty Supply

So all last week we were on a promotional and ministry tour in The Lancaster and Philly area and it was amazing. We got to speak in Youth groups and community centers and we did facials, haircuts and more manicures than our hands could handle
There is 1 incident that sticks out to me in the midst of the chaos that became our week, that I really want to share with you.

It happened when me and another girl on the trip decided to run into Sally's "really quick" and grab some gloves in case we had to do pedicures the next day.
Now Sally's is one of those stores that I look at everything and most days walk out with just the thing that I came for so I grab my gloves and look around and just as I am about to get in line there is a woman trying to ask a question of the young girl behind the counter and no one is paying attention to her. So since she was asking a question about something I knew about I answered her. She then asked a few more questions and told us about herself as well.

By the end of this adventure I had told her how to remove her current gel manicure, what nail polish would last the longest and given her to formula for my hair color. We also got to pray for  her.

She shared that many of her family members were dying and her children were not following the Lord and so neither were her grandchildren. She told us how lonely she felt because her family were all in Pittsburgh where we are from.

I think that God knows everything (duh right?) I also think that he knows the part of everything that we know and he wants to show us how to use those things. How to take every opportunity to help people and to share his love with them.

He knew that while on this trip we needed to know that he was behind us 100%. That we needed to know that despite how hard it is to explain that it is so simple and natural for us to do.

So many times when I try to explain that the outward beauty is important too, that women need to know that they were created beautiful all around not just "pretty on the inside" and not "just another pretty face" That they are beautiful I find myself nervous wondering what my audience thinks. I feel as though I am stumbling over my words and no one is understanding me.

But at Sally's talking to this woman hearing about her life and telling her our beauty tips I knew this is what I was created to do. When I told a group of youth group girls that they need to compliment each other, to tell each other "you are a beautiful woman of God" or "nice legs" I knew I was walking in the my calling.

See God knows the part of everything that I know. He wants to use that. He wants to show me more. He wants to take the part I know and speak through me with what he knows.

As we go into each new thing with this ministry I am constantly reminded that we are completely dependent on God and constantly realizing that, that is where he wants us to stay.

Whether we are doing manicures in someones home for a group of 4 or speaking in front of 40. Praying for a woman in Sally's or cutting hair at a woman's shelter he has called us to dependence and we need to stay there. No matter where we might go or what we might do we are first and foremost called to stay dependent on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment