Thursday, December 20, 2012

"Thinspiration" inspiration

So today I ventured into the internet world of thinspiration and have emerged wiser and more saddened than I will ever be able to communicate.

After reading blog after blog on these girls weight loss plans, journeys and goals I came to the conclusion that this world needs Jesus. Which might make you pause and say "well duh" to yourself it is the one thing that I just kept thinking.

One of the bloggers wrote that the desire to be skinny or thin is looked down upon as a disease and telling someone they need to gain weight is fine but, telling a obese person to loose weight is frowned upon. And while I do not know that I would totally agree with that, how many chubby kids or girls in school are made fun of. How many mom's have told an overweight daughter to go on a diet. Extremes of either one are no good and there are people on both sides defending their lifestyles and making excuses for it. In the end it comes down to this desire to be comfortable in their own skin.
These are quotes from 2 different blogs.

this was written as a consequence to slacking on the diet plan this girl had:
"Hate myself, loathe the mirror and be stuck in this body I feel holds some of my personality back"
I read this and it broke my heart. This is not w weight loss problem. This is not about whether these girls are doing this in a way that is healthy for their body. This is a heart issue. I am all about healthy lifestyle changes and losing weight in a healthy way. My criticism, my question is where are the hearts and minds of these girls. My question for both sides is why are they doing it?

"My goal is ultimately just to feel comfortable in my own skin, to be able to walk throughout my day without my own weight suffocating my bones."

This desire, this need in each woman is what leads to these dangerous behaviors. These un healthy coping mechanisms to try and accomplish something that is only possible with Jesus. Truly being confident, secure and comfortable in your own skin. We can manipulate it but ultimately he created it so only he knows how we can be comfortable in it.

The last quote that popped out at me throughout my reading was this
"you couldn't understand even if you tried because you don't know what it is like to cut, to puke and starve. To hate every inch of yourself.

One of the biggest lessons I learned a while back was no matter how much you can relate to another person, no matter how similair your expiriences are. You will never understand another person. That is why we have to rely on God for his words and guidance in what to say because again he created that skin that they long to be comfortable in.

Throughout my time online I saw girls bashing each other and their views. I saw the big and beautiful community rip on the skinny girls. The skinny girls call the fat girls cows. The healthy girls say who are the people who started this, who do they think they are?, what good do they think they are doing?.

As I read all I kept seeing was the question that they were all asking
"I want to be comfortable in my own skin, has anyone actually figured out how to do that?"

Shameless plug. If you read this and do your own research or even just read this and think. Man i want to tell girls that the designer of their skin can show them how to wear it comfortably then the Refined Beauty DTS might be the place for you. check us out at www.ywampittsburgh.org


No comments:

Post a Comment