Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gal Pals

So I have been reading through the stories of women in the bible lately and I just wanted to talk about the story of Hagar and Sarai for a minute today. Now some of this reflection is purely my speculation, this isn't meant to be scholarly as much as my reflections.

So a few weeks ago we went to a Youth Group and after the service we were talking to girls in small groups. I had a group and three of them were friends who hung out all of the time except when they were fighting. I asked them what they fought about and they said "boys". Shocker I know. The thing is we sit here and laugh to ourselves and think of course middle school girls what else would it be. But the fact is this continually is what comes between friendships, when our contentment is not completely founded in Christ. When we do not trust him for our every need. We allow our insecurities to take over and allow boys to come between us. 

I think this is what happened with Sarai and Hagar. Hagar was her servant but I think they were friends or at least close if Sarai was willing to allow her to bear her husband a son I don't think she would choose just any maid for that. Maybe I am wrong but I think also that is why it hurt Sarai so badly when Hagar started to treat her with contempt. Hagar who had never had something her mistress did not was in a position of having something Sarai wanted. It was a relationship shift, one that neither handled well. I believe because there were boys involved both Abram and the son Hagar carried. They changed the dynamic of who these two women were and what they had before. Sarai let her insecurity rule, rather than placing all of her trust in him and seeking him on what she should do.

Insecurity not the man himself is what destroys the relationship. One of the two wanting what the other has, and the other not being sensitive to where the other is in life. Far too often we treat others insecurities with contempt instead of empathy, prayer and encouragement. When our gal pals have a new male relationship in their life how do we take it? Do we take these emotions to God? Do we immediately begin judging this boyfriend as unfit for our friend? Do we talk amongst our other girlfriends about how she has abandoned us? I will admit at different points in my life with different friendships I have reacted in all of these ways. In the end security in Christ is the place we need to operate out of. It is central to everything we do and every relationship we have. Although we are always told getting married doesn't fix everything, it isn't the answer. Many times we single girls still think it will solve some things right? In the end though I look at this story and have a fresh revelation that security in Christ is where it is at.

So now my plug if you want to hear some amazing speakers with much wisdom and insight about relationships with people and your relationship with Jesus and if you want to make some amazing new gal pals check out the refined beauty DTS at www.ywampittsburgh.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment