Friday, November 2, 2012

Do you want your Nails done?

Well seeing as how this blog is an attempt to get you to come to a dts that uses cosmetology for ministry I figure I should probably show you what I mean.

The past 11 months nail polish has been my weapon of choice.

You see I have a rather extensive nail polish collection and I have used it to get to know people to minister to people and to encourage them. This might sound crazy but I feel like most of the ideas that God gives you seem that way.

It all started with me giving practice manicures to friends and family while I was in school as well as just giving manicures to the clients that came in to the cosmetology school I attended. Giving a manicure or pedicure (mainly pedicure) is one of the most humbling things I have ever done. The interesting thing is that many people open up while you are doing this, I think because you are serving them in such a way that pampers them. Now I believe this is true of every part of cosmetology manicuring is the most portable. It is that connection and service that you know you are going to leave feeling better, more beautiful and so why not really leave feeling better and unload a little bit on this person that you find yourself now connected to.

So I would tote my nail polish collection with me all over it basically lived in my car. People knew I had it and so I was asked to help out with spa days at church and give manicures before weddings. Then I went to Thailand and once again brought my nail polish. I used it to get to know the students I was living with. To get to know the other volunteers at the base I was working with. Then to minister to Thai women in the villages that we went to.

I came on staff in Pittsburgh and we did free manicures at a coffee shop and got to talk to a couple of girls and their mom about what we do. We also brought the nail polish to a neighborhood where we were going to do outreach and used it to get some girls to stick around to hear watch the drama and hear the message of salvation through Jesus Christ.

In the story of how Moses was called he is asked what is in your hand?
A staff is what he had because he was a Shepard at the time.
God asked me the same thing while I was in Thailand
What is in your Hand?
At the time I was painting my nails and I tend to answer literally even when people are not expecting literal answers from me. So I looked at my hand chuckled and answered Nail polish.
As I responded in my head that way I felt as though God was saying exactly. Just as God transformed that staff and used it to do miracles. God has transformed nail polish into my weapon of choice that opens the doors and makes away for his people to be free from sin.

So What is in Your Hands?

Once again Come to the Refined Beauty DTS check us out at www.ywampittsburgh.org send an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment